Monday, January 02, 2006

I got some time... you?

I'm going to go ahead and warn you in advance that this is going to be a boring post, but if you have 5 or 10 minutes to kill, this should do the job.

Alas, my vacation has finally come to a close. As of 8:00 AM tomorrow morning, I'll be back at it... work, that is. It's strange because the last day that I worked before Christmas, I remember thinking that I had a bunch of time before Christmas, and here I sit, pondering the busy day that I have tomorrow, and dreading getting back into the swing of my normal (well, kind of) life. For as much time as I had off, I feel like I didn't really accomplish much. I finished my shopping, drove to sunny Jamestown, did the family Christmas thing, drove back on Christmas day (that sucked), did the rest of the family thing, and the rest is pretty much an alcohol-fueled blur. Funny how that works. What I mean by that is that a few days ago, I went out with the 5 Dog, and we pretty much drank everything in Rochester. I couldn't find my apartment the next day because I drank it.

By the way, I got a sweater for Christmas. What I really wanted was a moaner or a screamer. Bummer. Moving on.

I shouldn't say I didn't accomplish anything. I did complete one task that I've been meaning to do for a while. For the last couple years or so, I've been keeping all the wine corks from the bottles that I have enjoyed. I just threw them in a box when I finished, so it amounted to about 600 or so used wine bottle corks that have been sitting around collecting dust. So anyway, for however long it's been, I've been trying to think of something cool to do with them. After all, it'd seem like a shame to let all that hard drinking go to waste and have nothing to show for it. Today, I found something that I think is pretty cool.

Yes, my loyal readers, for the first time in the corner apartment, it's arts and crafts time with your host, the Rychkid. Try to stay with me. I went to a craft store and got 4 pre-fab shadow boxes (like I said, I have about 600 corks), a hot glue gun, and headed back to the new corner apartment. I opened up the shadow boxes, and went to work. I glued the corks in alternating directions until I had completely filled each one. Then, I put the glass back over the top, and here's what I got.


















I had enough corks for 3 of these thing, so I have a pre-fab shadow box left over, but regardless, they look pretty cool on my wall.



















So, in a nutshell, that's what I accomplished on my week off. I warned you in advance that this would be boring post, but Happy New Year anyway.

Back to what I was saying about the time thing. Isn't it strange how you think that you have all the time in the world, but then when it's over, it seemed like just a second. It's kind of how we look at the clock, and the perpetual rotation of the hands makes us feel like time goes on forever, but we curse the hourglass because it reminds us of how time is, in fact, running out. Oh time, why do you punish me so? I think of 10 or 12 or whatever years ago when I moved to, what seemed at the time, this big city of Rochester. I remember that moving here from Jamestown was so intimidating. I'd never in my life had to get on an expressway to get from one part of the city to another. In Jamestown, you can pretty much get to any place in the city in under 10 minutes. It seems like yesterday that I was drinking beers in the Stardust on 3rd Street in Jamestown, wondering if I'd ever get out of there. Rather, find the courage to leave. Well, in short, I did, and it was the best move I ever made.

When I sat down in front of my computer tonight, I was thinking about writing about the past year, and all that's happened, but if you want a synopsis of that, you can simply check out the archives on the right. There should be enough photos to sum it up if you're pressed for time. Instead, I think I'll look forward to what 2006 has in store for me. In the upcoming months, you can look forward to yet another post about the annual Vegas trip with the boys, probably a rant about Rochester's finest and how I don't care for them so much, and maybe, just maybe, if you're awful good and a little lucky, there may just be a post about a girl. I know she's out there, I just don't know the hell where.

In short, I don't know. I don't know what the upcoming year has in store for me. I wrote a long time ago that I didn't have all the answers, and how I wished that I had an "answer guy" that I could periodically consult. As of yet, I haven't found him, so I still have to rely on myself as the answer guy. I guess I can live with that for now... I have been known to be right once in a while. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Who knows? Maybe this year is the year that some publisher decides to pick me up and put the corner apartment into hard cover. Maybe this is the year that some saint of a dermatologist finds the cure to stop hair loss and I won't ever have to go down that road. Maybe this is the year that the Boston Red Sox decide to disenfranchise and are never heard from again. Maybe this is the year that I finally figure it all out. And finally, maybe this is the year that some nationally recognized band decides that they need a new lead singer and finally gives me a call. Hey Matchbox 20... I'm available.

There's one thing that I did forget to mention, while I'm on the subject of "maybe this is the year that blank." A couple of weeks ago, I achieved bowling immortality. Yes, I'm in a bowling league. Leave me alone. Anyway, I bowled a perfect 300 game. It's actually pretty impressive, especially considering that I have a 174 average. Yeah, I'm not a particularly strong bowler. I'm in like the 0.00001% of people that have done that. Go ahead, say it... you're impressed. I'll wait. Did you say it? Good. Thanks. Let's move on.

Having said that, I think I'm going to log off for the night, and try to get to bed at a decent hour. Seeing as I've been sleeping until noon for the past week (at the earliest), 7AM is going to come very, very early. Besides, my watch stopped. Better head to the mall for a new battery. Looks like time's running out.

Until next time...

R

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey "sorted lives"...go away !!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah "sorted lives" dismount already!